Date:      Fri, 24 May 2002 12:30:02 -0400
From:      "Morse, Richard E." <REMORSE@PARTNERS.ORG>
To:        "'Jack L. Stone'" <jackstone@sage-one.net>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   RE: Unknown Crashes

Jack L. Stone [mailto:jackstone@sage-one.net] wrote:

> I run FBSD 4.5-RELEASE and Apache 1.23 on a computer that
> provides services
> for web server, mail server, FTP server, DNS caching, name
> serving. The
> system has 1GB fast RAM with 1.4GB CPU and 1GB swap drive.
>
> Shortly after, I moved the domains over, I started having
> crashes that seem
> directly related to my tar (gzip) backups which experienced
> no problems
> before.
>
> Are there any ideas out there on this issue....??? Did I give enough
> info....???

What happens when you run the tar commands by hand?  Try tarring various
subdirectories, and seeing if you can figure out what is causing the issues.
Could it be related to an active filesystem?

As FreeBSD uses UFS, I do my backups from FreeBSD via dump.  There is a lot of
religiosity involved in this (it comes up all the time on the amanda lists), but
from what I've heard, on UFS filesystems dump may be better than tar.  At the
very least, if you try a dump and it also fails, you know for certain that
something is wrong with the drives, although if it succeeds you may still be in
the dark.

HTH,
Ricky