Date:      Thu, 26 Apr 2001 21:40:33 -0500
From:      "Jacques A. Vidrine" <n@nectar.com>
To:        Ceren Ercen <ceren@magnesium.net>
Cc:        Mark Evenson <evenson@panix.com>, freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Thinkpad X20 2662-34U lockup problem

On Thu, Apr 19, 2001 at 01:06:36PM -0700, Ceren Ercen wrote:
> Hmm.  that's probably because that page used to say "well, don't install
> FreeBSD."

Here's where I find the report:
  <URL:http://www-1.ibm.com/servlet/support/manager?rs=0&rt=0&org=psg&doc=7D1DA70F48750BC4852569850057E57E>;

Or just search IBM's site for `thinkpad freebsd'.

> They've changed their minds and attitudes about this since. They've
> released BIOS updated for half of the laptops, but I'm not sure if they
> ever fixed the BIOS for the X20 (or if it's been scheduled for a BIOS
> release that hasn't happened yet.)

Well I just  got a ThinkPad X20  today, and promptly turned  it into a
brick.  It had BIOS version 2.12.

I looked around for more recent BIOSes, but no luck.  However, looking
at the README file for BIOS version  2.12, I see this (I made the most
important part stand out):

  IBM ThinkPad X20                                         March 6, 2001
  System Program Service Diskette

  Diskette Version : 2.12
  BIOS Version : 2.12 (IZET92WW)
[snip]
  Summary of Changes
  ------------------
   Where: <x.xx (yyyyyyyy)>
             x.xx     : BIOS version
             yyyyyyyy : BIOS internal ID
             For example, <1.14 (IZET59WW)> means the BIOS version is
             1.14.
             The BIOS internal ID is for administrator purpose.
          (New) New Function or Enhancement
          (Fix) Correction to existing function
[snip]
  <2.10 - 2.10(IZET90WW)>
   - (New) Add a 'Lock BIOS settings' menu to BIOS setup.
   - (Fix) After the system is hot-docked with the ThinkPad UltraBase,
           the CD-ROM drive in ThinkPad UltraBase X2 is not detected
           when rebooted.
   - (Fix) Some PCI video cards in ThinkPad Dock do not work when
           rebooted by Alt+Ctrl+Del keys.
vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv
   - (Fix) The system can't be booted from the hard disk drive whose
           partition ID is n5h (n is 1 or greater).
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
   - (Fix) Diskette write protect test in PC-Doctor DOS fails.
   - (Fix) The SMBIOS does not return 'Asset Tag Number'.
   - (Fix) If both "Will not suspend even when LCD is closed" and
           "Suspend/hibernate when docked" options are enabled and the
           system is attached to the ThinkPad Dock, the LCD does not
           work when the LCD is closed then opened.
   - (Fix) (Windows Me and Windows 2000) If "USB BIOS Support" option is
           disabled in IBM BIOS Setup Utility, the system hangs when the
           system resumes normal operation from suspend mode.
   - (Fix) System booting time becomes slow if a "LG CD-ROM CRN-8245B"
           is installed in the ThinkPad UltraBase X2 or ThinkPad Dock.

  <2.12 - 2.12(IZET92WW)>
   - (New) When the LCD panel is closed, audible beeps will sound and
           the suspend mode indicator will blink until suspend operation
           is complete. This is to avoid hard disk crash by indicating
           suspend operation completion.
   - (Fix) The Device Manager shows Code12 and 10/100 EtherJet Mini PCI
           Adapter with 56K Modem does not work at all when the adapter
           equips Intel Boot Agent 4.0.15.
   - (Fix) It takes about 3 minutes to boot the system when a hard disk
           drive is installed in the ThinkPad Dock.

So clearly this is SUPPOSED to have  been fixed for X20s also, in BIOS
version 2.10 and later.  Like I said, I have 2.12 -- and it hangs.  So
I  thought I'd  download 2.10.   Oddly enough,  the IBM  download site
for  these  things <URL:ftp://ftp.pc.ibm.com/pub/pccbbs/mobiles/>;  has
versions 2.07 and 2.12 but not 2.10.

Maddening!

> I currently have practically the entire ThinkPad series at my fingertips,
> as I'm paid to certify them with several distributions of Linux, by
> IBM.  I'm not restricted from trying out FreeBSD on them in my spare
> time. :)
>
> I'll talk to IBM and see if I can get any information as to whether or
> when the BIOS fix for the X20 will be released.
> As I understood it, the problem had to do with the fact that no partition
> type above a certain value that ended in "5" would be correctly understood
> by the BIOS. That included "f5".
>
> The people at IBM that I have contact with are actually quite clued and
> helpful, particularly Keith Frechette. Granted, they're they linux people,
> but for dealing with IBM, it's been relatively painless. ;) They have a
> lot of legacy red tape to swim through, and I think they're doing a good
> job.
>
> Rising tide.... all boats... etc.
>
> As for your questions... I don't know. :) removing the hard drive should
> work. try another hard drive? There was a BIOS version that worked with
> freebsd, but it wasn't a production release, and I don't think I could get
> it to you....
>
> I will check with IBM regarding BIOS fixes.

Did you find out anything,

Owner of a rather useless black brick,
--
Jacques Vidrine / n@nectar.com / jvidrine@verio.net / nectar@FreeBSD.org