Date:      Mon, 13 May 2002 16:06:36 -0400
From:      Roberto de Iriarte <roberto@spock.cl>
To:        "Coffin, Dexter" <idnopheq@comcast.net>
Cc:        freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: [Fwd: Re: Java 2 !]

On Sunday 12 May 2002 10:04, you wrote:
> Happy Mom's Day to all and your's!
>
> With many thanks to Andrew Gallatin and Roberto de Iriarte, I got the
> Compaq Java 2 running and wrapped it up with javavmwrapper while
> watching the Red Wings take their series against the Blues.
>
> Now I'll ask another question.  With the ability to run Linux Java, what
> steps are required to get the native JDK (say 1.3) to compile?  IIRC,
> the i386 port requires linux-java to build the native java, so that
> hurdle ~might~ be leaped.
>
> Take out the i386 requirement from the Makefile.
>
> Grab the jdk source from Sun and get the patches.
>
> Anything else?  Anyone else try this?  Advice?

Ouch, this is ambitious. I had not thought about it, but it sounds
interesting, and very challenging, to say the least. On a sidenote, there
used to be a JVM for the alpha by the name of CACAO, that promised
very high performance, but, according to
http://www.complang.tuwien.ac.at/java/cacao/index.html
one would thought that development had been abandoned.
However, i fount this email from the autor posted to iecc,
http://compilers.iecc.com/comparch/article/99-11-062, maybe we should
contact him ?

Regards.
Roberto

BTW, i will check out that sources for the jdk too.