Date:      Fri, 14 Jul 2000 10:29:06 -0500 (CDT)
From:      James Wyatt <jwyatt@rwsystems.net>
To:        Carlton Haycock <chaycock1@mindspring.com>
Cc:        "freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>, "freebsd-isp@freebsd.org" <freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: news server

On Thu, 13 Jul 2000, Carlton Haycock wrote:
> Anyone have any recommendations on which nntp news server to run as there appear
> to be several in the ports/packages collection.

Until alt.binaries and such got too large to handle, we used INN with
innfeed and several peering feeds to feed our readers and customers with
NNTP servers. FreeBSD with ccd support on several ultrawide Viking II
drives and lots 'o dram ran very well.

The server was stable enough to run async IO on the news spool filesystems
and it made a large difference in noise and drive lifetime. We had the
active file on a drive out of the ccds. It worked great.

Hope this helps, call if you want more 'input'. - Jy@