Date:      Fri, 19 Sep 2008 06:06:05 +0530
From:      "Gautham Ganapathy" <gautham@lisphacker.org>
To:        davidb@boothscientific.com
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Wpi keep disconnecting

On Fri, Sep 19, 2008 at 3:57 AM, David Booth <davidb@boothscientific.com>wrote:

> > > This is a bit of a shot in the dark, but I happen to be on a WPA
> > > connection today and I hit this one or something very similar.
> > > Since I am on an Atheros, it may be different, but I made the
> > > problem "go awa" with 'ifconfig ath0 -bgscan'. bgscan should not
> > > interfere in any way with normal operation, but I have seen
> > > issues from it for some time and al most always turn off bgscan
> > > as the first attempt to "fix" mystery disconnects.
> >
> > I've got a Dell 1720 with a wpi wireless adapter in it. It was also
> > droping the connection very often, until I added -bgscan to my
> > ifconfig line. Now it stays connected all the time. except if my AP
> > reboots then it does not want to reconnect automatically.
>
> I gave it a try and that did not do the trick.  It died less than two
> minutes into an ftp session with less than 300 MB transferred. After
> restarting, it died in less than a minute.   The only logged error
> messages for the interface are the usual messages about Timeout
> resetting TX ring 3 or 4.

have you tried updating to 7-stable?

I have a dell laptop (inspiron 9400) with a wpi based adapter connected to a
router (Linksys WRT54G f/w rev 7) over WPA. I normally have no problems with
disconnections (w/ 7-stable, not 7.0-release), even with multiple long
downloads using parallel connections (upto 10 per file). It works fine
without any disconnections or problems until I run the Deluge bittorrent
client. Once this start running, after a few minutes, all connections except
Deluge stop (Deluge still runs fine). I cannot even ping the router. If I
stop Deluge, other connections start working after a few minutes.

Not sure if this is related, but I do have a problem when freebsd starts up.
For some reason, the ip address and the route do not get setup when it boots
up, although I can see the config scripts running. After I login, I neet to
run /etc/netstart again before the ip address gets assigned. it gives a
message 'invalid authmode' in both cases

--
Gautham Ganapathy
http://lisphacker.org