Date:      Fri, 26 Mar 1999 13:55:59 -0600
From:      Jeremy Agte <jagte@gateway.net>
To:        "'freebsd-questions@freebsd.org'" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   ppp connection

Hello, I just purchase FreeBSD 3.1 on cdrom and am having a difficult time
connecting to my internet service provider.  I have read the applicable man
page and handbook section on setting up the files but no luck.  I currently
have the /etc/ppp/ppp.conf file set up as:

default:
  set device /dev/cuaa0
  set speed 115200
  set dial "ABORT BUSY ABORT NO\\sCARRIER TIMEOUT 5 \"\" AT OK-AT-OK ATE1Q0
OK \\ dATDT\\T TIMEOUT 40 CONNECT"

provider:
  set phone 3572850
  set login "ABORT NO\\sCARRIER TIMEOUT 5 ogin:--ogin: JAgte word: (my
password)"
  set timeout 300
  set ifaddr 10.0.0.1/0  10.0.0.2/0  255.255.255.0  0.0.0.0
  add default HISADDR
  enable DNS

to start I type ppp to get:

ppp ON skuza>

then
ppp ON skuza>dial provider
ppp ON skuza>WARNING! Chat script failed.

the ppp.log file for the above looks like:

Using interface: tun0
deflink: Created in closed state
PPP Started (interactive mode)
bundle: Establish
deflink: closed -> opening
deflink: Connected!
deflink: opening -> dial
Phone: 3572850
deflink: dial -> hangup
deflink: Disconnected!
deflink: Connect time: 10 secs: 0 octets in, 0 octets out

I don't ever here the modem dialing.  Also from Windows I get that my U.S.
Robotics 56K modem is located on COM2 but when I set the first line in the
ppp.conf to "set device /dev/cauu1" ppp says that it doesn't recognize
cauu1.  Is ppp even reaching my modem?  Any suggestions on how to get this
thing working?

Thanks, Jeremy Agte