Date:      Sat, 25 Apr 1998 18:19:14 -0400 (EDT)
From:      CyberPeasant <djv@bedford.net>
To:        barry.monk@gnet.tn (Barry Monk)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Changing the default x-windows manager

> Hi, I'm running FreeBSD2.2.5, and I have upgraded to Xfree3.3.2. I have a solid
>  BSD system, but I want to change from the poor TWM display manager to
> one of the better ones such as FVWM2 or 95. I understand I have to alter a config
> file to do this, but can't find which one, I cannot access the newsgroups as I live
> overseas and my ISP does not yet provide them. I have searched the FAQ's etc
> but cannot find the answer. After this I plan to port Netscape from the CD, but I
> have been informed that my modem is incompatible withBSD. It is a US Robotics
> sportster win modem 33.3kb. I plan to convert fully to BSD, for all my computing
> but would like to change a little hardware as possible, so can I utilize this modem?

Sell it to a windoze user.  To my knowledge no *BSD or Linux supports those
damn things. The reason is that it uses the /CPU!!!/ for all its computation.
This plays hob with a real OS. Get a nice external modem (now would be
an excuse to go to 56K) with a 16550 serial port, and you'll be happier.

Non-support of winmodems is a feature, not a bug.

> Any help you can offer would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Kind regards , Barry Monk

Window mgrs:

The file to edit is /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xinit/xinitrc

Down at the bottom, there are lines like:

# start some nice programs

twm &
xclock -geometry 50x50-1+1 &
xterm -geometry 80x50+494+51 &
xterm -geometry 80x20+494-0 &
exec xterm -geometry 80x66+0+0 -name login

You might change it to:

# start some nice programs

# Start fvwm2 if I can find it:
if [ -f /usr/X11R6/bin/fvwm2 ]; then
	exec /usr/X11R6/bin/fvwm2
fi

# you won't get here if fvwm2 exists and can be exec'd
# Ooops, no fvwm2, fallback to twm:
twm &
xclock -geometry 50x50-1+1 &
xterm -geometry 80x50+494+51 &
xterm -geometry 80x20+494-0 &
exec xterm -geometry 80x66+0+0 -name login

For configuring fvwm2 see its man page.

Dave