Date:      Thu, 17 May 2001 14:27:12 -0700
From:      "Thomas Lau" <lkthomas@hkicable.com>
To:        "William Allison" <wdalli@netscape.net>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Write failure on transfer!

----- Original Message -----
From: "William Allison" <wdalli@netscape.net>
To: <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Sent: Wednesday, May 16, 2001 11:17 PM
Subject: Write failure on transfer!

> Hello all,
> Was hoping to get some advice on an installation issue.  I've been trying
to install FreeBSD Power Pak 4.2 on a Micron Home MPC 200 MMX, equipped with
96 MB RAM, a Wester Digital AC310200R 10 GB IDE HDD, Hitachi CDR-8130 ATAPI
CD-ROM, Diamond Stealth III S540 PCI and an integrated SB32 PnP sound card.
> I have the PnP OS setting in the BIOS set to "No", and Large Disk Access
Mode set to "Other". (It says to do this if not using DOS)
> I rid myself of seven conflicts in the UserConfig menu, when I get to
sysinstall, I choose the recomended standard installation.  In fdisk I
select A for Use Entire Disk and then A again to auto allocate partitions.
> Here is where the trouble comes, when extracting bin to / the "Write
failure on transfer!" message appears, I've tried to repeat it to no avail.
> It happens on extracting doc, manpages, dict etc... to /. But it will
transfer the needed files to /usr afterwards.  But of course it will not
boot.
> I have installed a number of Linux distros on this same machine without
problem, RHL 5.2 - 7.1, SuSE, and Mandrake.  Any ideas?
> Thank you,
> William

try not using auto allocate partitions
using Aust are crazy, root / partition only have 200MB!
How can you install it ?
try to partition your HD by your hard!
I got same problem before, but fixed using my hard