Date:      Tue, 13 Feb 2001 19:16:59 +0000
From:      void <float@firedrake.org>
To:        Jordan Hubbard <jkh@winston.osd.bsdi.com>
Cc:        kstewart@urx.com, Danny Braniss <danny@cs.huji.ac.il>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: soft updates performance

On Mon, Feb 12, 2001 at 10:36:40PM -0800, Jordan Hubbard wrote:

> With how many running processors?  If you're running -j4 on a
> uniprocessor system, you're only introducing competition for already
> scarce CPU resources, though -j2 can be a speedup since this allows
> one target build to run while another is in an I/O wait.  I've only
> seen a speedup with -j4 when using at least 2 CPUs.

Interesting.  When I asked about optimal values on this list maybe a
year ago, I was told that -j(4 * NCPU) was a good choice.  I guess that
doesn't work for NCPU == 1.

--
 Ben

"I told Paddy no, I told Steve no, I told Paul no, and Ben fell asleep."
                   --Kate C. (no, different Ben, I would have stayed up)