Date:      Tue, 6 Feb 1996 15:50:24 +0900
From:      hosokawa@mt.cs.keio.ac.jp (HOSOKAWA Tatsumi)
To:        nate@sri.MT.net
Cc:        franky@pisces.bekkoame.or.jp, freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG, hosokawa@mt.cs.keio.ac.jp
Subject:   Re: PCMCIA supports & TP530cs

In article <199602051955.MAA01891@rocky.sri.MT.net>
nate@sri.MT.net writes:

>> > 1. Which are PCMCIA Cards( SCSI and Ether card ) supported by FreeBSD 2.1R .
>> >    ( If this is FAQ, please show me this FAQ file name and locations. )
>>
>> It's in the README that comes with the installation.  Try
>> http://www.FreeBSD.org

We're working on some PCMCIA Ethernet, FAX/Modem, SCSI, ATA, Flash-ATA
cards, but this work is still the alpha-test version and it has not
been incorporated into the official release of FreeBSD.  You can use
Adaptec SlimSCSI 1460, NewMedia BusToaster, Ratoc REX5535 series, with
this package, but we've not tried to make boot floppies using our
drivers, so you can't use these cards for installation.

>> > 2. Does FreeBSD2.1R run on the ThinkPad 530cs without any problems?
>>
>> I've never heard of that model, but it does run on all of the 7XX and
>> 36X modles.

TP 530Cs is a Japanese domestic model of IBM Japan.  It should not be
sold outside Japan.  APM BIOS of this model has a serious bug (the
value of protected mode data segment which APM returns, points an
invaild address).  So, APM driver of FreeBSD 2.1.0R should not work
with this machine (it hangs up).

Today or tomorrow, I'll release the new version of our pccard-test
(PCMCIA) driver.  It includes some patches to APM driver.  You can use
TP530's APM with this patch.

--
	HOSOKAWA, Tatsumi              E-mail: hosokawa@mt.cs.keio.ac.jp
	  WWW homepage: http://www.mt.cs.keio.ac.jp/person/hosokawa.html