Date:      Mon, 21 Apr 1997 09:47:05 -0600
From:      "Justin T. Gibbs" <gibbs@plutotech.com>
To:        Alan Judge <Alan.Judge@indigo.ie>
Cc:        "Justin T. Gibbs" <gibbs@plutotech.com>, freebsd-scsi@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Vendor specific ASCQ SCSI errors in 2.2-STABLE

>If not, maybe I should try to get an explanation of the code from
>Quantum.

It may be hard to get.  We just received the latest tech ref from them,
so you'll have to get above one of their tech support drones in order
to get a real response.

>Justin> If this is indeed the case, I would suspect a cabling or
>Justin> termination problem that rears it's ugly head only under heavy
>Justin> load.
>
>The setup is fairly simple.  Eight disks, all internal.  Four each on
>channels of a 3940UW.  A single ribbon cable connects each set, and
>termination is enabled on the last drive in each chain.  The only
>unusual feature is that all the disks are in hot-swap cannisters, so
>there's some internal cabling there.

Your setup appears to be sound.  Using a single ribbon cable for all of
the ultra disks is one of the best ways, according to an Adaptec study,
to ensure correct Ultra SCSI operation.  Hmm.

>At the moment, I only get the error on sd0 and even there it only
>happens once a day or so.  Any ideas on where to start narrowing down
>the problem.

My first hunch would be a bogus connector somewhere in the system which
is putting a large capacitive load on the bus.  I would try changing out
a canister at a time with a known good one.  If you can afford to steal
a canister from the other bus, the one that seems to work, that should
allow you to be "scientific" about it.

--
Justin T. Gibbs
  FreeBSD: Turning PCs into workstations