Date:      Thu, 06 Apr 2006 13:35:11 -0300
From:      Duane Whitty <duane@greenmeadow.ca>
To:        Ashley Moran <work@ashleymoran.me.uk>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Switch from SATA-RAID to gmirror?

Ashley Moran wrote:
> On Thursday 06 April 2006 12:13, Wojciech Puchar wrote:
>
>> i think - just YES. no problem
>>

> Wojciech
>
> You were right to have faith!  It went perfectly and the server is now up on
> gmirror.  Only took 90 mins or so to rebuilt a 200GB disk too.
>
> I've got to say this gmirror thing is scarily easy to set up.  I just hope
> when/if one of the disks die it will carry on running!
>
> Ashley

Hi Ashley,

I'm glad things worked well for you.  Faith got you this far
but how long do you want to depend upon it?

A long time ago I was tasked with the administration of some
HP-UX boxes running on K-series hardware.  I didn't setup the
hardware and I didn't do the system install but I was expected,
as the systems consultant, to give reasonable assurances that in
the case of system failure the recovery procedures would work.
As it turns out I had to also write those procedures.  After I did
so I insisted that a failure be simulated and that it be determined
whether or not we could recover our operation starting from
scratch with just our backups and system tapes.  After all, there is
no one easier to fire than a consultant and it's always the consultant's
fault :)

So my recommendation is that you simulate a disk going bad now
before it happens for real.  For instance, what happens if you unplug
the disk from the controller, or remove its power connection, etc?

Just my $0.02

--
Duane Whitty