Date:      Tue, 7 Oct 1997 13:54:46 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Annelise Anderson <andrsn@andrsn.stanford.edu>
To:        Superuser <root@krabi.mbp.ee>
Cc:        stăble@FreeBSD.ORG, stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: error in make world

On Tue, 7 Oct 1997, Superuser wrote:

> Hi
>
> I'm relatively unexperienced FreeBSD user and for first time tried:
>
> cd /usr/src
> make world
>
> It went a long way, but suddenly bombed out saying:
>
> install -c -s -o root -g network -m 4550 ppp /usr/sbin
> install: unknown group network
>
> What should I do ?
>
> I have system ver 2.2-STABLE, cvsup running each night...
>
> _____________
> Lauri Laupmaa
> mauri@mbp.ee

Add this line to /etc/group:

network:*:69:

and try it again....

You might want to do, instead of make world,

make -DNOCLEAN world

which might save quite a lot of time (some of the existing files
that have been created won't be deleted).  If I've got this wrong
I'm sure someone else will correct me...

Annelise