Date:      Fri, 17 Apr 1998 10:55:57 +0200
From:      Philippe Regnauld <regnauld@deepo.prosa.dk>
To:        Robert Watson <robert+freebsd@cyrus.watson.org>
Cc:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: kernel permissions

Robert Watson writes:

> Hardening Project.  What I have in mind is a port in the ports collection
> that would "harden" the default FreeBSD base installation.  It would apply
> schg flags, remove unnecessary read/write/etc access from standard
> binaries and config files, disable most daemons and inetd.conf entries,
> install a more-than-minimal ipfw config, perhaps enable some kernel
> settings, etc.

	I'm all for this, and would be willing to test it.
	While you're at it:

	- include the hardening to _removing_ certain syscalls from the kernel
	  (see below)
	- you could use the "ugly" dialog lib. to make a nice menu selection
	  (like the GS port) to enable/disable features:

  [ ] Standard (definition)
  [ ] Paranoid (definition)
  [ ] X-Files
  [X] Custom
    [ ] Make kernel unreadable to world  :-)
    [X] Append-only /var ?

	[...]

> The goal would be to move from an "open" system to one
> that might be more appropriate for a router or firewall machine in a less
> friendly network environment.  For the paranoid, of course, it would be
> appropriate for every-day use :).

	Yep.

> Does this seem like an interesting or useful proposal?  When setting up a
> proxy server, I really want a minimal feature set enabled, although having
> the standard toolset available is always useful.  The proxy user, however,
> should not even be able to send packets on irregular ports, and would be
> restricted by ipfw.  Similarly, use of secure levels would allow us to
> significantly reduce the effects of any kind of compromise.

	Suggestion:  how difficult would it be to have ipfw(8) respect
	the securelevel to, for example, refuse to flush / alter
	the ipfw list ?

	i.e.: all mods have to be tested before the securelevel is raised,
	and once it is, only rebooting into single user on the console
	allows you to change the filters.

> Some other thoughts I had were instructions for rolling a custom system CD
> + possibly a boot disk to create read-only machines for use as proxy
> servers or routers.  Swap + MFS would be the only writable areas of the
> system, and neither of those would persist over boot.

	We need write-protect notch on the hard-disks :-)

> environment.  A number of the large scale UNIX machines I have seen go so
> far as to disable all setuid utilities (other than su) to prevent
> unauthorized use of the system.

	Some off-the-shelf firewall packages, like BorderWare (based on BSDi)
	uses a dual-kernel approach:

	- an operational, network-aware kernel stripped of suspect
	  system calls (particularly the *id stuff)
	- a fully functional "single-user" kernel with NO networking
	  to do the maintenance.

	This is a tad straight-jacketed, but you get the idea (I hope).

> Anyhow, if there is sufficient interest in the project, I'd like to try
> and get it off the ground.  Presumably, some changes might work their way
> back into the default distribution.  If we lose no significant
> functionality, it cannot hurt to restrict priveledges.  It may help us
> when those unpredicted vulnerabilities do turn up.

	Better than a port: a separate set of tarballs in the dist:

	harden.aa
	harden.ab ...

	?  Anti-bloatists oblige.

--
 -[ Philippe Regnauld / sysadmin / regnauld@deepo.prosa.dk / +55.4N +11.3E ]-
     «Pluto placed his bad dog at the entrance of Hades to keep the dead