Date:      Thu, 12 Aug 1999 12:07:45 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Brian <bri@sonicboom.org>
To:        Eduardo Viruena Silva <mrspock@esfm.ipn.mx>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ftp problems in FBSD 3.2 ?

Apologies for a router lesson here..

Ok, the nitty gritty.  Are you the network person there?  I have seen
this  when a Cisco, which uses keepalive by default, tries to send an
ipcp config request to the router on the other end, that is usually not a
Cisco.  The classic symptom of this is you start a download, then after a
couple minutes, things start to slow down, then die for about 3-4 minutes.
All is well after that.  If that is what is occurring, you could try
looking at the router interface while someone else downloads.  Does it
blink as if resetting?  The fix to try is this on a Cisco..

First, do a show running or show config, and look at the config for the
serial interface that connects to the csu.  Does it say no keepalive?  If
not, try the below.  This is not recommended for frame relay circuits,
they depend on keepalive for staying up.

conf t
int interface name
no keepalive
ctrl z