Date:      Sat, 26 Feb 2000 10:58:29 +1030
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Kevin Oberman <oberman@es.net>
Cc:        Jon Rust <jpr@vcnet.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Disk Mirroring

On Friday, 25 February 2000 at  9:36:04 -0800, Kevin Oberman wrote:
>> Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2000 13:58:50 +1030
>> From: Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
>> Sender: owner-freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG

>>> ccd?! Why not use Vinum? Up to date, supported, actively
>>> maintained... Is ccd actively maintained (honest question)?
>>
>> I believe some work is still going on, but it's not very much.
>>
>>> Any 2, non-boot drives, will work.
>>
>> RSN we'll have boot device support too.
>
> Any chance you would be willing to divulge what RSN means? Are we
> talking weeks or months?

It's basically related to the release cycle.  I had intended to get it
in to 4.0-RELEASE, but I got sidetracked with other things, and it's
not clear whether I will still be allowed to.  If not, it'll be the
next release.

> The Vinum web pages talk about possible approaches to doing this,
> but no approach was even singled out as the one to be used, so I
> didn't realize that any real coding had even started. I'm excited!

The web pages are out of date.  I'll fix them as well.

> Also, the original message says "2, non-boot drives". I thought that
> I could set up any partition as a Vinum virtual disk. Is it really
> restricted to an entire physical device?

No, Vinum drives are disk partitions.

Greg