Date:      Thu, 06 Jan 2000 12:45:58 -0600
From:      Drew Wiggins <drew@multinet-media.com>
To:        Delmir Fernandes <delmir@enteract.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: /**** Open Source - FreeBSD Arguments ***/

--------------1DF2D5223FFE37D7C3A93AFD

I don't get it....you ask not to be told where to look for
documentation;
then you continue to bleed on about how there's not enough of it out
there.  While some of the responses may be harsh I think everyone at
least offered a little help in not only providing some general
background
about the OS but also where to look for more thorough information.  To
be literal, the documentation is in the source...like to see you try
that one
with MS.  One thing I _like_ about FreeBSD is that information isn't
scattered but collected in whole in a few locations...ie <I'm not going
say because they've already been said...and you asked us not to>.

FreeBSD may not have the corporate appeal that Solaris, HPUX, etc
possess...but to say that it's not prestigious or famous is so far off
base
it's ridiculous.  Do some history research; find out the origins of unix
and
its variants...and see where the BSD family fits in.

I think the thing you're missing is that FreeBSD isn't an OS for the
masses.
Hey if the masses want to run it, great for them.  FreeBSD is a
community
where people contribute and help others WHO ARE RUNNING THE
OS ( or are at least interested in running the os ).  Would you bring a
checkers board to a chess tournament and suggest that others play you at

your own game?  Some might accept your offer just for sh*ts and giggles.

But most wouldn't...you'd be changing the rules ( and they weren't even
your rules to change ).  You're a new Linux user and are probably
attempting to size up the `other' OS against the one you're
experimenting
with now.  The only suggestion I can make is buy the CD pack and
handbook, subscribe to newbies and questions, successfully install it,
and
then make that judgement.

We hear your plea for a higher marketing focus for the project...and
there
are those out there that do a great job of promoting FreeBSD.  If you
really want to help then maybe you can contribute to that cause.  I
would
post to advocacy to find out the best way to get involved there.  Hope
you
find what you're looking for.

--------------1DF2D5223FFE37D7C3A93AFD

begin:vcard
n:Wiggins;John
tel;cell:(806) 786-2764
tel;fax:(806) 472-0858
tel;home:(806) 786-2764
tel;work:(806) 762-3739
x-mozilla-html:TRUE
url:http://www.MultiNet-Media.com/
org:MultiNetMedia;Operations
version:2.1
email;internet:drew@multinet-media.com
title:IT Director
adr;quoted-printable:;;1316 27th Street=0D=0A;Lubbock;TX  ;79405;USA
x-mozilla-cpt:;-23200
fn:Drew Wiggins
end:vcard