Date:      Fri, 01 Oct 1999 12:42:25 +0200
From:      Sheldon Hearn <sheldonh@uunet.co.za>
To:        "Kristian Rask" <krask@mediac.dk>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: I miss a couple of features ! Do u have a repository for project ideas by non programmers ?

On Thu, 30 Sep 1999 22:03:31 +0200, "Kristian Rask" wrote:

> Subject: Re: I miss a couple of features ! Do u have a repository for
> project ideas by non programmers ?
>
> The subject is the first part of the question.

Yes. The FreeBSD Ports tree is an ideal place for user-contributed
software to mature before consideration for inclusion in the base
system. The only time it's not appropriate is when your software
requires kernel changes. Those should be proposed on the freebsd-hackers
mailing list.

To get your software into the ports tree, use send-pr(1) to send a
submission. Please makes sure you read the porting section of the
FreeBSD Handbook at:

	http://www.freebsd.org/handbook/porting.html

> This kernel could then ask for you Emergency disk, recreate the
> structure(s) and ask u to insert the tape (or mount a particular
> device)

I think you could design this elegantly without the need for kernel
changes.

> 2) Open System Wide backup
> A backup engine that can somehow backup any and all OS'es :)
> Maybe like a definition for a ftp like server, and an engine for FreeBSD
> to backup all such servers.

Ambitious. :-)

> I could easily define the above in much more detail, but if no one
> cares, then it'l be a waste of time :)

The popular answer to this is always "let's see the code first".  :-)
If you need advice on the design side before you start, try the
freebsd-hackers mailing list. Just keep in mind that people are quick to
shoot down new ideas there. Also keep in mind that the criticisms you
get there are often well-founded.

Later,
Sheldon.