Date:      Fri, 23 Jan 1998 18:11:55 -0600
From:      Alejandro Galindo <agalindo@servidor.exsocom.com.mx>
To:        Chuck <crtb@capecod.net>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Modem Speed in ttys and gettytab  files

        i set speed 115200 with kermit, the problem now is the modem not
respond to "at" commands, next i set the speed to 19200 but the modem dont
respond to "at" commands, i use the tip program for configure the modems
(like kermit) but i cant configure the modem to factory at&f, how can i do?.

        With other modem, i use the "mgetty -s 115200" in ttys file and it
works (from reply Jim Bryant <jbryant@unix.tfs.net>) and the comunication is
most faster  now we have an average round-trip (with ping) of 140 ms in the
past the average was 230 ms (betwen the server and
 the interface pppc00.mydomain --> /dev/ttyc00).

the question now is why if the modem works well with mgetty and 115200 of
speed  when i set the speed with kermit to 115200 the modem is'nt work?

thank you for your replys
Saludos
Alejandro

At 17:20 23/01/98 -0500, you wrote:
>The modem must be convinced to communicate with FreeBSD at the
>desired speed.  Gettytab only influences FreeBSD.  If the serial
>interface is different from what the modem sends, there will be
>garbage.  Talk to the modem about this.  Use kermit and the device
>name cuaa0 (not tty0 or sio0 or whatever; it's the same device,
>seen from a different perspective).  Set speed to 115200 (for instance),
>AT, and wait for OK.  If you get OK, then enter AT&F, possibly other S0=1
>etc., then AT&W.  Now the modem should understand that it talks at
>115200 by default.
>
>Sorry to be so anthropomorphic, but you see, there's these little guys
>running around in there....
>        Chuck Bacon -- crtb@capecod.net
>                ABHOR SECRECY -- DEFEND PRIVACY

|                                                          ,        ,        |
|                                                         /(        )`       |
|                                                         \ \___   / |       |
|                                                         /- _  `-/  '       |
|                                                        (/\/ \ \   /\       |
|     ExSoCom Dgo. MEXICO                                / /   | `    \      |
|                                                        O O   ) /    |      |
|                                                        `-^--'`<     '      |
|                                                       (_.)  _  )   /       |
|     Alejandro Galindo Chairez                          `.___/`    /        |
|     Tel: (52 18) 179177                                  `-----' /         |
|     Fax: (52 18) 179177                     <----.     __ / __   \         |
|    e-mail alejandro.galindo@exsocom.com.mx  <----'    `--' `.__,' \        |
|          http://www.exsocom.com.mx                       \       /       /\|