Date:      Sun, 26 Aug 2001 13:03:47 -0400
From:      Brian Reichert <reichert@numachi.com>
To:        Harry Putnam <reader@newsguy.com>
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Frustrating network problem - need diagnotic help

On Sun, Aug 26, 2001 at 06:55:38AM -0700, Harry Putnam wrote:
> How does one tell if it is a bogus MAC address?

I initially had to cheat, and look at how Windows probed that card,
for in that OS, it worked.  Ultimately, I researched the fields of
the MAC address and found that:

- From your supplied URL, the vendor is [Toshiba America]
  [3COM/NoteWorthy 56K Modem]

  Comparing the first three bytes or your MAC 01:d4:ff:03:00:20 against any
  MAC vendor list implies a mismatch:

    <http://map-ne.com/Ethernet/vendor.html>;
    <http://standards.ieee.org/regauth/ethertype/type-pub.html>;

- Although, for the life of me I can't reaconstruct the research,
  I recall learning that that list bit of the MAC address must be
  '1', otherwise, it's interpreted as a multicast address.  (Which
  only makes sense in a destination address, not a source address,
  which it what your card's MAC will be used for.)

> What do you mean by
> `certain' above?  There were some tcp connections you could not make?

I whined to -mobile and -isp, with some feedback.  Look for these
subjects:

  'linksys vs cisco'
  'LinkSys NP100 vs the universe'

No solutions are discussed, but I go into great detail of the
sypmtoms I was seeing in different environments.

In my case, though, it came down to a buggy ed driver in FreeBSD
4.0-RELEASE, when 4.1 came out I uprgaded, and voila! I had a
working NIC.

--
Brian 'you Bastard' Reichert		<reichert@numachi.com>
37 Crystal Ave. #303			Daytime number: (603) 434-6842