Date:      Thu, 29 Jul 2004 14:40:17 +0200
From:      Sven Pfeifer <sven@yagonna.de>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: password

Hi,

John Rackham  <sneakycat@lycos.co.uk> wrote:
> hello  ive got a problem login to freebsd. i had a copy  of freebsd
> given me and when i installed it  it  asks me  for
> a login name and password. is there a way of  findin out the login
> name and password?

yes of course. yust log in as root (this is the system administrator)
and type:

	cat /etc/master.passwd | cut -d ":" -f 1

if you can see the username, that matches your userid, set a new
password for this username by typing:

	passwd the_username_you_found_out

HTH

	Sven

--
Why You Can't Find Your System Administrator:
  They are hiding under the stairs --[Simon Burr simes@tcp.co.uk]