Date:      Wed, 5 Sep 2001 18:59:35 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Kenneth Wayne Culver <culverk@wam.umd.edu>
To:        Daniel Blankensteiner <dslb@linuxmail.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD vs. OpenBSD

> To =93FreeBSD=94
>=20
> I have a little problem I hope you will help me with. I have to choose
> an operating system for my server and I am torn between OpenBSD and
> FreeBSD. I have heared a lot of good things about each, but I have
> found that most people use FreeBSD and there is more literature on
> FreeBSD. But when I visit your website and OpenBSD=92s the to headlines
> concern me: FreeBSD: "Please be aware that the telnet daemon shipping
> in FreeBSD prior to July 23, 2001 contains a remotely exploitable
> security problem. " OpenBSD: "Four years without a remote hole in the
> default install!" I have read about OpenBSD=92s default installation and
> found out that it meant no running services, but I couldn=92t find
> similar information on you website. So there of my first question is:
> Which services are running after a FreeBSD default installation? And
> my second: In your honest opinion, which of the two OS=92s are the most
> secure? (less buggiest) And finally my last question: Which of the two
> OS=92s have the brightest future?

You can choose whether any services are running by default when you
install FreeBSD; I believe there's an option for "medium" security which
just basically runs almost everything, and high security or something of
that sort that turns off almost everything. I don't think either operating
system is incredibly buggy, I'd say they are probably equal in that
respect, and I don't think it's possible to guage which OS has the
brightest future objectively; FreeBSD has more users than OpenBSD, and has
been growing faster than OpenBSD or NetBSD with respect to the number of
users, and is getting a lot of new and cool technologies in it's
development branch which to me says it has a "bright future." With respect
to security advisories like the one on www.freebsd.org, all I have to say
to that is that it was fixed within hours of the announcement, and could
be updated very easily.

Ken