Date:      Fri, 26 May 2006 10:43:32 +1000
From:      Mikhail Goriachev <mikhailg@webanoide.org>
To:        Adrian Pavone <wingot@amcom.com.au>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Spam problem!

Adrian Pavone wrote:
> Derek Ragona wrote:
>> There are many ways to combat spam.  One of the easiest is to use
>> mailscanner in the ports.
>>
>> You can configure mailscanner to compare senders against known lists
>> of SPAMers, in addition to it's own rules.
>>
>>         -Derek
>>

>> At 09:53 AM 5/25/2006, Olga Zenkova wrote:
>>> I use sendmail 8.13.3 and gather full log of its work.
>>> I see such strings in it:
>>>
>>> <<< RCPT TO: user1@domain.com
>>> <<< RCPT TO: user2@domain.com
>>> <<< DATA
>>> <<< To: user3@domain.com
>>>
>>> where user1, user2 - users names
>>> domain.com - domain name
>>>
>>> After that user1 and user2 get spam letters to their
>>> mailboxes with field "To: user3" in it. There are no
>>> user1 or user2 in this field. Is it possible to cut
>>> off these letters? Especially it is difficult to
>>> explain for user1 and user2 why they got letters
>>> addressed not for them.
>>>
>>> Thanks!
>>> Olga Zenkova

>>> --
>>> believed to be clean.
>>> MailScanner thanks transtec Computers for their support.
>>
> Ohh, this reminds me of my ISP tech support days. Having to explain to
> illiterates what a BCC is ...
>
> Yeah, I think even sendmail has a mail filter available if you want to
> configure it. There are many anti-spam methods available at the server.
> I recommend finding one with greylisting built in

I had to get rid off greylisting (even though it sounds wicked). It took
me a few months to realise that some legitimate mail was getting lost
due to senders' weird configuration on SMTP level. Also sometimes I was
getting very long delays and it was unacceptable by the users.

I use a mix of sendmail, spamass-milter and spamassassin. It quietly
accepts spam and delivers it marked as such but never bounces. It does a
great job, can't complain, but 1% manages to get through from time to
time. Also, once in awhile legitimate mail gets marked and this is where
whitelisting comes in handy.

Cheers,
Mikhail.

--
Mikhail Goriachev
Webanoide

Telephone: +61 (0)3 62252501
Mobile Phone: +61 (0)4 38255158
E-Mail: mikhailg@webanoide.org
Web: http://www.webanoide.org

PGP Key ID: 0x4E148A3B
PGP Key Fingerprint: D96B 7C14 79A5 8824 B99D 9562 F50E 2F5D 4E14 8A3B