Date:      Sun, 2 Feb 1997 23:14:53 -0500
From:      garman@jason.garman.net (Jason Garman)
To:        helbig@BA-Stuttgart.De (Wolfgang Helbig)
Subject:   Re: CMD640b flaw workaround

First, thanks for the patch!

Wolfgang Helbig writes:
> So maybe you should upgrade to FreeBSD 2.2 and test then.

Well, (unrelated) I tried to do that through my ppp connection, but the
2.2-BETA kernel on the install floppy (just downloaded tonight from
ftp.freebsd.org) refuses to recognize my modem (sio1)

I turned on verbose probe using flags 0x80 and it tells me:

sio1: probe test 5 failed
sio1: probe test 6 failed
sio1 not found at 0x2f8

My working 2.1.5-RELEASE kernel reports:

sio1 at 0x2f8-0x2ff irq 3 on isa
sio1: type 16450

(yes, it is a cheap 14.4 internal card w/a 16540 :-/)

I was sure to disable all possibly conflicting devices in the 2.2 visual
configuration, btw.  I'm guessing that it's just not allowing the card
enough time to reply; is there a way to increase the delay from the
configuration interface?

So close, yet so far... (trying to backport the patch to 2.1.5 was a
futile exercise :-))

Thanks,
--
Jason Garman                             http://www.nesc.k12.ar.us/~garman/