Date:      Tue, 27 Oct 1998 23:13:26 +0000
From:      Bob Bishop <rb@gid.co.uk>
To:        Alfred Perlstein <bright@hotjobs.com>
Cc:        Marius Bendiksen <Marius.Bendiksen@scancall.no>, "Ron G. Minnich" <rminnich@Sarnoff.COM>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: dropping to single user mode on a telnet connection

Hi,

At 11:00 am -0500 27/10/98, Alfred Perlstein wrote:
>On Tue, 27 Oct 1998, Marius Bendiksen wrote:
>
>> >Interesting idea passed to me by john degood, who used to work at hp.
>>
>> Indeed. This is a quite interesting idea.
>>
>> >On hpux, when you drop to single user via a telnet connection, it leaves
>> >the connection open.[etc]

The classical way to do this (SysVr2 IIRC) is to have console output go to
/dev/syscon, which  gets (hard) linked to whichever device is appropriate
when the music stops (often /dev/console). This means that kernel internals
have to access the console by name not via maj/min 0/0.

Care is required: you don't want the console attached to a vty or pty en
route for a reboot, for instance.

--
Bob Bishop              (0118) 977 4017  international code +44 118
rb@gid.co.uk        fax (0118) 989 4254  between 0800 and 1800 UK