Date:      Tue, 9 May 1995 22:22:39 -0500
From:      "Daniel M. Eischen" <deischen@iworks.InterWorks.org>
To:        peppe@unipg.it, questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: 950412-SNAP on a Plato P90 with Adaptec 2940

>The problem is not "completely" solved.
>
>What I did try at the end is to use all the "new"
>aic7* files that drive the Adaptec 2940 with the
>"old" 950412-SNAP kernel. Now the things work,
>but I discovered, what, probabilly, is the problem
>with the Intel Plato Board.
>
>The new version of the aic7* files in -current
>showed me that the Intel Plato is using "edge-triggered"
>interrupts by default on PCI, instead of "level-sensitive".
>The Plato's BIOS initialize the card that way.

Not correct.  The -current aic7xxx drivers show that message for the benefit
of the aic7770-based cards (aha274x and aha284x).  For these cards, the interrupt
trigger type is meaningful.  The interrupt trigger type is taken from the
HCNTRL register which is on the same location for both chips (7770 and 7870),
but the interrupt trigger type bit in HCNTRL is defined as a spare R/W bit
with no current hardware assignment for the 7870.  For the 7770 it does have
meaning.  So the message your seeing regarding the interrupt type is not
correct.  Well, you could still be using edge triggered interrupts, but I
doubt anything would work.

I have a 2940W and run both Linux and FreeBSD on it.  The FLinux driver
always assigns a 1 to this bit which is interpreted as Level-sensitieve
interrupts.  The FreeBSD driver leaves the bit unchanged (0) and interprets
it as Edge-triggered.  What both drivers should do is ignore the bit
for the case of the 7870 (2940 cards) chip and not display any message
regarding interrupt trigger settings.

This is just a nit and does not affect the performance of the driver in
any way.

Dan Eischen
deischen@iworks.InterWorks.org