Date:      Mon, 25 Nov 1996 10:04:54 +0100 (MET)
From:      J Wunsch <j@uriah.heep.sax.de>
To:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.org (FreeBSD-current users)
Cc:        andreas@klemm.gtn.com (Andreas Klemm)
Subject:   Re: again, fixit floppy isn't useable...

As Andreas Klemm wrote:

> I saw in a commit log from Joerg, that he does some fixes to the
> fixit floppy generation. Don't know exactly what fixes. But today

That's your problem.  You should probably watch the commit logs more
closely, then you knew what has been fixed, and what not.

> But both, the one from 2.1.6 and from 2.2-ALPHA are still broken.

Nobody cares about 2.1.6.  People ``buying'' this system most likely
do already have their own recovery strategy, since it's targeted to
ISPs and such.  Even if they don't have, they wouldn't stumple across
a defunct MAKEDEV script since they know how to mknod manually.

Namely the regexp fix that finally fixed the `expr' on the fixit
floppy wasn't yet in 2.2-ALPHA either.  I wasn't 101.1 % sure about
whether all people would like the way i've fixed it, and hence imposed
a `grace period' before pulling the fix into the 2.2 branch.  It's in
now, so this one should work in 2.2-BETA once this is ready.

> fixit# mt status
> /dev/nrst0: no such file or directory

Quite possible.  There's no space for any and all device nodes, in
particular not on the root file system (which has _nothing_ to do
with the fixit floppy).  Maybe

export TAPE /mnt2/dev/nrst0
mt status

might have worked better. :)

(If i don't forget it, i can take the export statement into the
fixit's .profile.)

> The device nrst0 is only present on the fixit floppy, under /mnt2.

Yes, so whaddayawant?  There's only limited space in the MFS root f/s,
and we don't have DEVFS ready either (which will be the way out of all
that shit).

> fixit# sh MAKEDEV sd0s3e
> expr: not found

see above

> fixit# sh MAKEDEV sd0s3e
> /mnt2: write failed, file system full
> Memory fault
> /mnt2: write failed, file system full
> Memory fault
> bad unit for disk in: sd0s3e(unit=,slice=,part=)
>
> No space ????

Yes.  Read the message, PLEEZE!  Memory fault -- _that's_ what caused
the ENOSPC.  There wasn't enough space for a 600 KB coredump neither
on the root MFS, nor on the fixit floppy.  Did you expect that much
space there?
:)

> The only difference is, that the 2.2-ALPHA floppy had an vi and
> an ed. The 2.1.6 boot/fixit floppy had only and ed, vi was missing.

RTFcommitmessages.  vi has been left out due to space constraints.

> Well, I see no possibility to restore a crashed system :-(

Andreas, you are far more than a Unix' beginner.  I still don't get
your whining, in particular not if the reported problems are being
worked on.  I expect from you that you could figure out how to use
`mknod' manually to create the desired device nodes, at least after
reading the MAKEDEV script.

Again: most of this _is_ fixed by now.  2.2-ALPHA ain't `now'.  Things
have been going on, and your comments were welcomed and recognized.

What we can't fix with the current scheme is the lack of a multitude
of device nodes, either in the root MFS or on the fixit floppy.  This
has to be left for 3.0 which will hopefully and finally have a working
DEVFS.

--
cheers, J"org