Date:      Mon, 06 Sep 1999 16:09:49 +0200
From:      Marcel Moolenaar <marcel@scc.nl>
To:        Peter Dufault <dufault@hda.com>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: (P)review: sigset_t for more than 32 signals

Peter Dufault wrote:

> 1. Immediately do roughly what you displayed only without increasing
> the number of signals but instead using two sixteen bit ints, and
> commit after testing.
[snip]
> 2. Switch to the higher number of signals using the approach I
> suggested making the high 16 bits of the "header"
> word an unusual pattern of mask bits by looking at bits unlikely
> to ever be masked.
[snip]

You forget that you still need to be backwards compatible. The easiest
solution is to add new syscalls with the new sigset_t, recompile the kernel
and reboot. Everything should still work. if not, then you broke the
kernel. When you build world, everything will use the new syscalls and if
something gets broken, then it's the application itself that needs fixing.
In any case, you'll catch most (if not all) improper use or assumptions of
sigset_t by simply compiling...

That's what I did. I booted my new kernel without any problems or panics
and without breaking any existing code. So, it indeed works quite well :-)

--
Marcel Moolenaar                        mailto:marcel@scc.nl
SCC Internetworking & Databases           http://www.scc.nl/