Date:      Wed, 18 Apr 2001 12:55:42 -0700
From:      Simon Walton <simonw@lucent.com>
To:        Kevin Oberman <oberman@es.net>
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG, Jesper Skriver <jesper@skriver.dk>
Subject:   Re: Modem on laptop...

Kevin Oberman wrote:

> THANKS! This is (or will be, once I get it down-loaded and installed)
> great!

   You might want to make sure it works before you say that!

> Are you considering putting it into a port? If not, I think I'd like
> to do so (still in my copious free time). Do you see any problem with
> making it a port?
>
> Whether the mWave code could be included in the base system, I can't
> say, but it's of sufficiently limited interest that it's probably
> better placed in the ports tree, anyhow.

   The IBM guys seem agreeable to releasing a combined source. It
would be pretty easy to make the daemon compile under both OSes,
but the kernel driver would probably have to be separate. I intend
to attempt this at some point.

   On the other hand, I'm not going to discourage you if you
want to make it a port. One problem might be that it has a dependency
on linuxthreads, and the port for linuxthreads assumes the full OS
source
is installed (not just the kernel). On a laptop it's unlikely
you'll have a full OS source.

   Also I'm going to do a bit more work on the driver, so if you
do attempt a port stay in touch to make sure you're up to date.

Simon