Date:      Thu, 13 Apr 2000 07:16:43 +0200
From:      Andreas Klemm <andreas@klemm.gtn.com>
To:        Joe Greco <jgreco@ns.sol.net>
Cc:        blk@skynet.be, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Integrating QMAIL in the world

On Fri, Apr 14, 2000 at 05:21:24PM -0500, Joe Greco wrote:
> Remove Sendmail from the base system - or, at least, make it a "package"
> that is removable with the package management tool.  Then be able to add
> another mailer (or an updated Sendmail) in its place.  Ideally, Sendmail
> would be available as a package for installation as part of the base
> system, just like games or info or proflibs.

Sounds all basically like a good idea to have different choices
for a MTA.

But I don't like _basic_ system functionalities to be out sourced
completely to ports.

Two examples:

If I give people a FreeBSD-STABLE snapshot CD, I'd like to give
them a complete Unix, and for me a MTA belongs to a basic package.

If I want to do a complete upgrade of all of my system ports,
because I come to the conclusion
	- I installed to much experimental crap and don't get it
	  sorted out manually
	- or I want to upgrade everything to the latest and greatest
I don't want to kill my MTA (sendmail) by performing a rm -rf /usr/local/*
action.

FreeBSD - as is - has all the basic system functionality in the
base system and I wouldn't like to have a "neutral" "castrated"
Unix just for the sake, that you can start later to customize
things like sendmail and maybe other things

> I would love to see this happen with other components of the system as
> well, such as BIND.

definitively not. I hate the Linux way to have a puzzle system.
Could we please still agree on a base system that is complete,
so that SNAP CD's still represent a complete BSD without having
to create additional ports ???

Again FreeBSD != Linux.

> While it is fantastic that FreeBSD comes out of the box so fully
> functional, it does make it a bit of a pain for those of us who intend
> to build servers - we have to disable the original before installing a
> new package.  :-/

Well ... for that purpose I'd vote for the following:

a) make more
	NO_XXXX (sendmail, bind, whatever)
   knobs in /etc/make.conf as needed
b) make the Makefiles in the install target more complete by
   removing (old) occurrencies of sendmail, bind, if such a
   NO_XXX knob has been set.
   Then you get such an ISP server as you like after a make world
   session
c) Split FreeBSD packaging any further (bin, man, doc, compat,...)
   Add something like a package internet (sendmail, bind, ...)
   Then you can install a sendmail, DNS free system as you like.

But I wouldn't for a generally castrated BSD.

--
Andreas Klemm                               http://people.FreeBSD.ORG/~andreas
                                     http://www.freebsd.org/~fsmp/SMP/SMP.html