Date:      Tue, 16 Sep 2003 16:22:12 -0500
From:      Vulpes Velox <kitbsdlist2@HotPOP.com>
To:        "Devon H. O'Dell" <dodell@sitetronics.com>
Cc:        michael@gargantuan.com
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD Revamped Look 'n' feel: Feedback appreciated!

On Tue, 16 Sep 2003 22:40:39 +0200
"Devon H. O'Dell" <dodell@sitetronics.com> wrote:

> >What is so bloody horrible about the FreeBSD site? It is much more
> >proffesional than redhat's site. The two side parts are great. The only thing
> >that could stand to be redone is the center section. It providing a bit more
> >info and ect could be nice.
> >
> >Yes we do have a different way of judging things. I regard proffesional as
> >lacking glib or having little glib. Looks are entirely pointless. Info
> >are the only things that matter. The ability to effectively convey that
> >information is being proffesional, not throwing in a bunch of glib and
> >confusacating the entire issue.
> >
> >There are many ways of laying stuff out. The template redhat borrows is just
> >one, But in the case of redhat it is just horrible implemented. I have
> >personally yet to see how layout choices factors into proffessionalism. As
> >long as it provides the info and ect and little or no glib, then it is cool
> >and proffessional.
> >

> What in God's name does glib have to do with websites or
> professionalism? What in God's name is "confusacating"? Do you know what
> glib is? Ack!

glib besides being a library, is also word meaning lacking of depth of
substance.

> >Glib came into this when you mentioned redhat's site. It is glib and only
> >glib. With very little of any actual value. The navigation is badly laid out.
> >

> glib is a C library containing several routines to make things like
> string handling much easier. It has nothing to do with web sites,
> design, or layouts (or professionalism). Many 'professional'
> applications utilize glib. End of glib discussion, mmmkay?

See above.

> >I am glad not every one is like me, that would be boring. The numbers don't
> >matter, in this case. A large chunk of them lack the ability for rational
> >thought. Thus they relly on others to make their choices for them. That is
> >what marketing execs are for. To help them make decisions to buy inferior
> >products. One should not let themselves be manipulated by the majority just
> >because they think they are right. For the most part right and wrong are just
> >a illusion. Let others live in peace when they let one live in peace, but
> >when they don't, one should take action and put it to a end.
>
> Here, I have a better idea. Why don't the people that want to make a
> 'more professional' site (which I interpret as meaning one aimed at
> corporations and enterprises and such) make that and why don't you stay
> out of it? You seem to be throwing a lot of flames and 'confuscating'
> (heh) a lot of things. Like glib and web design/development. I
> personally don't appreciate seeing this kind of stuff, even when it's
> not directed towards me.

I never said they should not go and create a site seperate from freebsd.org that
does not appeal MBA/management/zombies/whatever...

> I do agree that FreeBSD could benefit from a more 'enterprise-targeted'
> site (although, as I said earlier, Sun's website is
> 'enterprise-targeted' and is also quite simple). It doesn't have to be
> really busy or even something totally different. All the same, a site
> targeted at corporations is not a bad idea. Somebody just has to take
> initiative to:

I agree FreeBSD would benefit from more large bussiness using it. If you would
bother checking some of my earlier posts, you will see I have never come out
against that ideas of creating site that appeals to those that refuse to judge
things be specs and the likes. I just came out against taking a glibish approach
to freebsd.org.