Date:      Fri, 12 Nov 1999 17:20:53 -0600
From:      "Alejandro Ramirez" <ales@megared.net.mx>
To:        <wim@xs4all.nl>
Cc:        "David Reid" <dlreid@netcom.ca>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: HELP: problem?  ppp starts up automatically

Hi,

    You have to know whats in your system, for example: if you have a DNS
server, you will have the UDP port 53 open, and that could be the one
causing the dials, if you have sendmail running, you will have the TCP port
25 open, and if you have a POP3 server, you will have the TCP port 110 open,
and if you have comsat running, you will have the UDP port 512 open, and if
you have...

You have to know whats in your system, you can disable things one at a time,
or several together, the "sockstat" command its your friend, and the
"netstat -a| grep LISTEN" its your friend also.

Have Fun...
Ales