Date:      Thu, 02 Jul 1998 17:35:48 +0200
From:      Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.freebsd.dk>
To:        rotel@indigo.ie
Cc:        "Allen Smith" <easmith@beatrice.rutgers.edu>, dg@root.com, security@FreeBSD.ORG, njs3@doc.ic.ac.uk, dima@best.net, abc@ralph.ml.org, tqbf@secnet.com
Subject:   Re: bsd securelevel patch question

>Eh?  If ssh/smtp/inetd bind to the port you won't be able to, no
>matter how often you try.  And you won't be able to steal keys
>by hijacking sshd.

correct.

>I still agree with you for other reasons though, if an attacker
>creates a new service people might use it even though it isn't a
>legitimate service setup my the sysadmin.

Right, but if the attacker has hacked your system enough to bind
to a socket < 1024, he >OWNS< it.  Any further attempt at adding
security is bogus, and can at best OPEN the window more because
you will be adding more complexity, rather than subtract from it.

The one fix that gives you most mileage is to add kernel code such
that above some particular securelevel, you cannot open sockets < 1024
anymore.

The downside is you have to reboot to restart deamons and the R* family
stops working...

"ttyv0" -- What UNIX calls a $20K state-of-the-art, 3D, hi-res color terminal