Date:      Thu, 18 Jul 2013 15:16:12 +0200
From:      Dimitry Andric <dim@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Kurt Lidl <lidl@pix.net>
Cc:        freebsd-toolchain@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: clang looking all over for linux libs [9.2 PRERELEASE]

On Jul 18, 2013, at 14:48, Kurt Lidl <lidl@pix.net> wrote:
> On 7/17/13 5:33 PM, Roman Divacky wrote:
>> Yes, this is because the FreeBSD driver toolchain shares the same
>> infrastructure with Linux. So we stat ~200 linux dirs :(
>>=20
>> This rys.vlakno.cz/~rdivacky/freebsd-driver.patch proof of concept
>> patch fixes it by unsharing FreeBSD from Linux but I am not
>> convinced it's worth it.
>>=20
>> It should also be possible to only stat those libs when -m32/-m64
>> is specified. That would be the preferred solution.
>>=20
>> Roman
>=20
> Thanks for that patch, but when applied to the 9.2-PRERELEASE
> clang tree, a buildworld fails like this:
>=20
> building static c library
> ranlib libc.a
> building shared library libc.so.7
> /usr/bin/ld: this linker was not configured to use sysroots
> cc: error: linker command failed with exit code 1 (use -v to see =
invocation)
> *** [libc.so.7] Error code 1
> 1 error
> *** [lib/libc__L] Error code 2
> 1 error
> *** [libraries] Error code 2
> 1 error
> *** [_libraries] Error code 2
> 1 error
> *** [buildworld] Error code 2
> 1 error

I'm not sure what goes wrong here, but please take the problem upstream,
instead of using local patches.  We want less of those, not more. :-)

In any case, the probability of such a change making it into 9.2 is very
small, since it is in no way critical.  Apparently clang has been doing
this for years, and you are the first one to notice...

-Dimitry