Date:      Wed, 10 Jul 2013 13:24:26 -0600
From:      "Justin T. Gibbs" <gibbs@FreeBSD.org>
To:        "Steven Hartland" <killing@multiplay.co.uk>
Cc:        freebsd-fs@freebsd.org, =?iso-8859-1?Q?Dag-Erling_Sm=F8rgrav?= <des@des.no>, d@delphij.net, ivoras@freebsd.org, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Make ZFS use the physical sector size when computing initial ashift

On Jul 10, 2013, at 1:06 PM, "Steven Hartland" <killing@multiplay.co.uk> =
wrote:

> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Justin T. Gibbs"=20
>> I'm sure lots of folks have "some solution" to this.  Here is an
>> old version of what we use at Spectra:
>> http://people.freebsd.org/~gibbs/zfs_patches/zfs_auto_ashift.diff
>> The above patch is missing some cleanup that was motivated by my
>> discussions with George Wilson about this change in April.  I'll
>> dig that up later tonight.  Even if you don't read the full diff,
>> please read the included checkin comment since it explains the
>> motivation behind this particular solution.
>>=20
>> This is on my list of things to upstream in the next week or so after
>> I add logic to the userspace tools to report whether or not the
>> TLVs in a pool are using an optimal allocation size.  This is only
>> possible if you actually make ZFS fully aware of logical, physical,
>> and the configured allocation size.  All of the other patches I've =
seen
>> just treat physical as logical.
>=20
> Reading through your patch it seems that your logical_ashift equates =
> the current ashift values which for geom devices is based off =
sectorsize
> and your physical_ashift is based stripesize.
>=20
> This is almost identical to the approach I used adding a "desired =
ashift",
> which equates to your physical_ashift, along side the standard ashift
> i.e. required aka logical_ashift value :)

Yes, the approaches are similar.  Our current version records the =
logical
access size in the vdev structure too, which might relate to the issue
below.

> One issue I did spot in your patch is that you currently expose
> zfs_max_auto_ashift as a sysctl but don't clamp its value which would
> cause problems should a user configure values > 13.

I would expect the zio pipeline to simply insert an ashift aligned =
thunking
buffer for these operations, but I haven't tried going past an ashift of =
13 in
my tests.  If it is an issue, it seems the restriction should be based =
on
logical access size, not optimal access size.

--
Justin=