Date:      Mon, 31 Jul 2000 11:04:52 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        carl@bl.echidna.id.au
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <questions@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: I broke my /dev tree, can't fsck /dev/ad0s2a, help?

[moved to -questions]

On Monday, 31 July 2000 at 11:16:19 +1000, carl@bl.echidna.id.au wrote:

> I was upgrading 4.-RELEASE to a CVSup'd 4.1 that I sucked down
> on Friday last week, and I fillowed the
> instructions in the UPDATE file, but I think I made a mistake
> rebuilding the devices, as when I reboot I'm getting the
> error
>
> can't fsck /dev/ad0s2a
>
> From the shell, I can cd into /dev and see that all the ads0's are
> there except ad0s2a.  My /etc/fstab has that as /, so it's kinda
> odd that I can boot it at all? When I try and MAKEDEV /dev/ad0s2a
> it complains that it's a read-only filesystem.
>
> Can anyone make a suggestion for how I can get it back up?

This looks like a case for the fixit disk.  Boot from CD or
installation floppy and select 'fixit' from the main menu.  If you
don't have the CD-ROM, you'll need a copy of the fixit floppy as
well.  Then do the following:

 # mknod /dev/ad0s2a c 116 0x00030000
 # fsck -y /dev/ad0s2a
 # mount /dev/ad0s2a /mnt
 # mknod /mnt/dev/ad0s2a c 116 0x00030000

After that, you should be able to reboot with no problems.

Greg