Date:      Fri, 12 Nov 1999 18:25:46 -0500
From:      "Bob Cohen" <bcohen@bpecreative.com>
To:        "freebsd-questions" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>, "Alejandro Ramirez" <ales@megared.net.mx>
Subject:   RE: PnP Modem Question

> after that, so if your modem isnt a winmodem, you
> will have to enable the
> sio4 in your kernel with the appropriate IO
> addresses and IRQ, and create the
> apropiate device node in /dev with "./MAKEDEV
> sio4" command.

Thanks Ales.  I understood the the analogs between sioX and
comX.  And I understood that I needed to add or enable sio4
in the kernel.  What I'm not sure about is how one adds the
device.

I tried performing ./MAKEDEV sio4 in the /dev directory and
BSD responds with "no such device name."  I then  consulted
THE COMPLETE FREEBSD on the subject of MAKEDEV.  Table 13-4
Parameters for MAKEDEV doesn't specify sio as a device.  The
closest device that looks like it might be what I'm looking
for is labeled "tty*"  Is that what I want?  The asterisk is
a place holder for the number of general serial ports.  If
not how does one add an additional sioX port to the kernel?
Do I have to build a custom kernel?  Or is there some other
way?

Bob