Date:      Sun, 4 Oct 1998 19:06:14 -0800 (AKDT)
From:      Steve Howe <groggy@iname.com>
To:        "TPS's lists" <lists@gal.netlab.sk>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: SENDMAIL+ELM problem

On Sun, 4 Oct 1998, TPS's lists wrote:

> I have 2.2.7-stable system with elm2.4ME+ PL43. When I try send mail with
> elm I got error message "Failed: /usr/sbin/sendmail: Bad file descriptor".

> PINE works fine. Another interesting thing is that if "root" user try send
> mail with elm job finish corectly :( Any sugestion?

it IS interesting ...
and that should clue you in to thinking
about permissions and/or your PATH.
(assuming your init files are the
 same bewtween root and user).

check log files.

try to break your problem down.  try sendmail by itself.
does it work?  (probably not)  if so, probably your
problem is with elm files.  i'm sorry i couldn't help
with an clear answer, but if root works things OK,
your problem shouldn't be too complicated.  UNIX
is very modular and friendly to debugging techniques.