Date:      Mon, 10 Jun 2002 18:00:49 -0700
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>
Cc:        Ceri Davies <setantae@submonkey.net>, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: SMTP and XREMOTEQUEUE

Giorgos Keramidas wrote:
> On 2002-06-10 13:47 +0100, Ceri Davies wrote:
> > I have googled and grepped for this but I cannot find an answer, and
> > it seems way too off topic for -questions, so maybe someone here
> > won't mind telling me what the SMTP extension XREMOTEQUEUE is for,
> > and where I can read some documentation on it.
>
> I think that commands starting with 'X' are not part of the ESMTP
> standard.  Looking through the RFCs, since I remembered that this is
> the case from an earlier time that I had seen it I quote RFC 1869:

This is correct.

> Therefore, the answer to your question depends on what the server that
> sends an XREMOTEQUEUE response has implemented it to mean.

This is a proprietary mechanism of triggering an ETRN, so that
the ETRN itself can not be used as a means of a denial of
service attack.  Apparently, you are talking to a Post.Office
server (from Software.COM, or the company which purchased them,
OneBox).

The correct standards compliant mechanism is "ATRN", which
requires the "AUTH" extension be used to authenticate.

In fact, "ATRN" was pushed on us by Qualcomm, though no one
other than the Whistle InterJet and the IBM Web Connections NOC
has, to my knowledge implemented it (that'd be Jennifer Meyer's
code for that, and my code for certain additional monitoring
extensions, and my design and David Wolfskill's code for the
per domain mail queues.  I was the architect for the IBM Web
Connections email services).

It would have beem just as easy to implement differing semantics
for ETRN in the presence of AUTH, but the ATRN folks wanted to
be able to do some things which are never very useful in practice.

In any case, XREMOTEQUEUE is not documented, and is a proprietary
extension for the Post.Office folks.  You can reverse engineer it
fairly easily by setting up two Post.Office machines to use it,
and then monitoring the conversation between them.  But I really
do not recommend it, given it's non-standard nature.

-- Terry