Date:      Tue, 02 Jan 1996 12:07:16 -0800 (PST)
From:      JOHN <JSINNOTT@POMONA.EDU>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.Org
Subject:   Help! My beautiful kernel won't compile! :(

First off, I would like to thank everyone involved with the FreeBSD project.
This system is GREAT - I love it, and in my opinion (I'm a newbie so nobody flame
me please) it feels more professional than Linux.

Now with my question. :)

I am trying to compile a kernal with support for such things as a PS/2 mouse,
SB16, my Adaptec card etc.

So, I followed the instructions down to the letter from the FreeBSD handbook.
I typed "make depend" - great.
I typed "make" and everything was going well until it stopped with these error
messages:

kern_sysctl.o: Undefined symbol '_hw_float' referenced from text segment
soundcard.o: Undefined symbol '_MIDIbuf_select' referenced from text segment
soundcard.o: Undefined symbol '_MIDIbuf_init' referenced from text segment
sound_switch.o: Undefined symbol '_MIDIbuf_read' referenced from text segment
sound_switch.o: Undefined symbol '_MIDIbuf_write' referenced from text segment
sound_switch.o: Undefined symbol '_MIDIbuf_open' referenced from text segment
sound_switch.o: Undefined symbol '_MIDIbuf_release' referenced from text segment
sound_switch.o: Undefined symbol '_MIDIbuf_ioctl' referenced from text segment
*** Error code 1

Stop.

Now, I put these three lines in my kernel config file as suggested by the
Handbook for my soundblaster 16:

controller snd0
device sbxvi0 at isa? drq5
device sbmidi0 at isa? port 0x330

And I have NO idea what the '_hw_float' might be referring to.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Happy New Year!

John