Date:      Sun, 16 Feb 2003 22:43:22 +0100
From:      Pawel Jakub Dawidek <nick@garage.freebsd.pl>
To:        Scott Long <scott_long@btc.adaptec.com>
Cc:        Sam Leffler <sam@errno.com>, Brad Knowles <brad.knowles@skynet.be>, freebsd-current@freebsd.org, Alex Rousskov <rousskov@measurement-factory.com>
Subject:   Re: 5-STABLE Roadmap

--8TMLq6GPUuN4DysL

On Sun, Feb 16, 2003 at 02:08:35PM -0700, Scott Long wrote:
+> Pawel Jakub Dawidek wrote:
+>=20
+> >On Thu, Feb 13, 2003 at 08:28:43PM -0800, Sam Leffler wrote:
+> >+> This can quickly turn into a bikeshed, but suggest ones.  We're
+> >looking for
+> >+> good benchmarks. [...]
+> >
+> >Look at:
+> >
+> >	http://www.web-polygraph.org
+> >
+> >It provides tests for www-cache/proxy stuff.
+> >We can test many things with it:
+> >
+> >	- how fast could we generate workload,
+> >	- how heavy load could we handle,
+> >	- how fast is squid running on FreeBSD,
+> >	- how fast is squid rewritten with libkse,
+> >	- etc.
+> >
+> >And this is good stablility test.
+> >This is real good and free stuff, I use it on 4.x.
+> >
+> Thanks for the pointer, this looks very interesting.  How hard
+> is it to set up?  [...]

Setting it up is quite simple, but it doesn't compile with gcc 3.x...
Authors of this stuff proposing to use it with FreeBSD 4.x, so it is well
tested on out favorite system:)

+> [...] DO you have any test configuations and/or
+> scripts that we could adapt?

Yes, on website kernel patches are avaliable for tunning, but for new
releases of 4.x this isn't necessary, all could be configure with kernel
options and sysctls (for 4.8):

	options		MAXFILES=3D16384
	options		HZ=3D1000
	options		NMBCLUSTERS=3D32678

	kern.ipc.somaxconn=3D1024
	net.inet.ip.portrange.last=3D40000
	net.inet.tcp.delayed_ack=3D0
	net.inet.tcp.msl=3D3000

Rest is quite simple/well documented. Tests in theory could be run on
one machine, so... And some nice looking results generated by web-polygraph:

	Without any proxy:
	http://garage.freebsd.pl/pm3-15-11-2k2
	With squid:
	http://garage.freebsd.pl/pm3-05-11-2k2
	http://garage.freebsd.pl/pm3-06-11-2k2
	With external proxy:
	http://garage.freebsd.pl/pm3-29-01-2k3

PS. I'm CC-ing this thread to one of polygraph's authors, he could be
    interested as well.

--=20
Pawel Jakub Dawidek
UNIX Systems Administrator