Date:      Thu, 2 Mar 2000 21:55:20 -0700
From:      Chris Wasser <cwasser@v-wave.com>
To:        John Reynolds~ <jreynold@sedona.ch.intel.com>
Cc:        wsanborn@uswest.net, questions@FreeBSD.ORG, multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: xmms 1.0.1 uses 95% cpu

On Thu, Mar 02, 2000 at 11:21:35AM -0700, John Reynolds~ wrote:
> With 0.9.5.1 the scope and volume controls update and "respond" normally to
> mouse events, etc. It just chews the crap out of CPU. With 1.0.1, the scope

 It's been a while since I've used xmms (and x11amp before that) but I
switched to gqmpeg because of memory and cpu consumptions issues I've had
in the past with this software. GQmpeg uses a themeable GTK interface and
uses mpg123 (which under 4.0, which I'm running, you can optimize quite
nicely by hand in the ports tree [egcs rocks]) and I've NEVER seen mpg123
take anything more then 3-5% of cputime. It supports streaming audio and
the volume slider has yet to affect the CPU that I've noticed. The only
thing it doesn't have that xmms does is the EQ [but if you're like me,
you're piping sound card output through your stereo and using real
equipment to equalize.]

 relevant info:

FreeBSD area51.v-wave.com 4.0-CURRENT FreeBSD 4.0-CURRENT #0: Thu Feb 24
01:43:52 MST 2000 root@area51.v-wave.com:/usr/src/sys/compile/AREA51 i386

flatline 15794  3.2  3.5  7720 4428  ??  Ss    9:50PM   0:04.68 mpg123 -v
-k 0 -b 1024 /home/flatline/Garbage - The World is not Enough.mp3

 Never seen it past those values doing anything related with gqmpeg/mpg123
and mp3 playback.