Date:      Mon, 11 Jan 1999 13:28:13 +0900 (JST)
From:      Sukmin Jeong <jsm@cm.ph.tsukuba.ac.jp>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG

Dear colleagues,

  I have a question regarding using a modem on freeBSD.

  I am using a Dell computer (Dimension V series) with an internal modem
of US Robotics (Sportster WinModem 56K). The problem is that the freeBSD
cannot find the modem. The modem is installed to COM2 on Win98 which
corresponds to sio1 on freeBSD. However, in booting message, I found that

        sio0 at 0x3f8-0x3ff irq 4 on isa
        sio0: type 16550A
        sio1 ... (I cannot remember exactly, but it is different from sio0)
        sio1: ...

It seems that the freeBSD does not recognize my modem.
I have already read your FAQ in 3.22 "I have an internal Plug & Play modem
and FreeBSD can't find it." But I don't understand how I can get the
PnP ID of my modem.

  I am looking forward to your kind reply.

  Thank you.

  Sukmin Jeong

  Institute of Physics
  Univ. of Tsukuba