Date:      Sat, 13 Nov 1999 23:24:02 -0800 (PST)
From:      Julian Elischer <julian@whistle.com>
To:        "Daniel M. Eischen" <eischen@vigrid.com>
Cc:        Michael Schuster - TSC SunOS Germany <michael.schuster@germany.sun.com>, "freebsd-arch@FreeBSD.ORG" <freebsd-arch@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Threads goals and implementation

On Sat, 13 Nov 1999, Daniel M. Eischen wrote:
> > It is probable that we will need a different syscall calling convension
> > to handle teh async nature of the world. If we use a second syscall gate,
> > we can intermix old and new system calls during development.
>
> OK, I can see how a different syscall gate might be useful during
> development.

more than that.. Old binaries must continue to run, and thus programs
linked with libc might continue to use the old syscalls (probably less
overhead) while prrograms using libc_r will call the new call-gate
with a protocol mor esuited to the new ideas.

> Currently, if I read the source correctly, a procs p_paddr (struct user)
> includes the kernel register save area and the kernel stack, and is
> swappable.  If we start allowing more kernel contexts (KSEs), do we
> also want to allow them to be swappable?

possibly.

> > The struct procs describe "SUBPROCESSES" and are in turned grouped in some
> > way to form a 'PROCESS'
> >
> >  The more interesting question is "What do we do when we
> > cannot allocate any more of these? (KSEs)" (either through limits or
> > resource shortage).
>
> Tell the UTS when the limit has been reached, then block without SA
> notification when the limit has been exceeded?

It may be reached when some OTHER process uses the last one...
so you may not be able to notify.. I guess just blocking is the answer.

Julian