Date:      Fri, 2 Feb 2001 23:19:25 -0800
From:      Steve Reid <sreid@sea-to-sky.net>
To:        Espen Oyslebo <oys@powertech.no>
Cc:        multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Cd-paranoia

On Sat, Jan 27, 2001 at 09:19:15PM -0500, Espen Oyslebo wrote:

> Anyone get cd-paranoia to work under free-bsd?
[snip]
> If not, what is the `best' substitute under FreeBSD. Since programs
> are often hard to rate on a worst --> best scale, a nice summery of
> pros/cons of the different tools would be appreciated.

As far as I can tell there are two CDDA rippers that work with IDE
CDROM drives: dagrab and cdd.

I generally prefer cdd. Ripping scratched CDs, dagrab reads right
through and gets a scratchy result. I have _never_ seen dagrab do a
retry. cdd will retry when it thinks there is a problem. However, some
really scratched disks may be totally un-rippable with cdd because
after a lot of errors it gives up and restarts, repeatedly. dagrab will
read right through and at least give you _something_.

Cdd's error checking, while better than dagrab's, is certainly not
perfect. I have had good results grabbing multiple samples (with either
ripper) and then using a simple "count the number of samples that agree
with each other" ("voting"?) algorithm to merge the multiple rips. I've
thought about hacking cdd or dagrab to take multiple samples until
there is a clear majority (which would be much better than grabbing the
whole track dozens of times just to handle a single scratchy part like
I was doing) but I figured I'd just end up re-inventing cdparanoia.

Note that I am using a cheap "EPO/Lite-On" 48x IDE CDROM.

> One more thing whilst I've got your attention: Lame vs Blade (mp3
> encoder)? And is there a significant quality improvement from 128 -->
> 192? how about 192 --> 256?

I've found some interesting analysis here:
http://www.r3mix.net/