Date:      Wed, 7 Aug 2002 13:13:40 -0400
From:      "Justin P. Michel" <jpmichel@jcontinuum.ca>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Slow network through NATD?

Greetings,

I have installed FreeBSD 4.6 onto a Dell Optiplex P2 - 233 system, with two
network cards (a 3Com [xl0] and a Realtek [rl0]).

I have the 3Com card set to DHCP, and it gets it's IP address from a cable
modem.  The Dell system itself has fine internet access speeds (450+ K
average).  However, I have recently went through the steps to configure
natd, and now I have a separate system (plugged in to the second adapter
[rl0] using a X-wired cable).  Doing a speed test from this system (online
internet test), it seemed to have 450K average upload, but for some reason
is only downloading at around 70K.

My question:  can I speed this up?  Is there some tweaking or settings that
I missed on the natd server?

If more information is needed, please let me know.

Thanks in advance,

Justin P. Michel
|- J Continuum
|- 21071 - 640 River Street