Date:      Fri, 10 Jan 1997 19:48:25 -0800
From:      "Michael L. VanLoon -- HeadCandy.com" <michaelv@MindBender.serv.net>
To:        Jim Riffle <rif@ns.kconline.com>
Cc:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: MS Exchange client

>I have a client who has purchased the Microsoft Exchange server with the
>Internet Mail Connector add-on for his NT box.  He is wanting to use this
>as a gateway for his domains email.  Instead of having the IMC use uucp,
>Microsoft decided to have it use straight SMTP for everything, so I am

I'm not sure why you say "Instead of having the IMC use uucp"...  It
IS an SMTP gateway, why would it do UUCP?

>The MX record is no problem, I have already configured that so mail will
>be delivered to my machine.  However, the "relay" part is where I do not
>know what to do.  When mail comes in, it will try to deliver it to local
>users, and if not bounce it.  Appearently, I need to mail coming in for
>that domain to enter into my mailque and wait for them to call to pick it
>up.

You may want to check into the DNS (and maybe Sendmail) books form O'
Reilly.  See http://www.ora.com/.

>They would issue a rsh ns.kconline.com "/usr/sbin/sendmail
>-qRtheirdomain.com" to send the mail to their machine.  Obviously that
>suggests then their domain will have some sort of static IP which when
>they are connected the mail would be able to be delivered.
>
>So, the problem lies in having my box accept the mail for their domain and
>hold it in the queue until it is deliverable.

See Sendmail book, above.

>Anyone had success on setting something like this up?

People have done things like this, yes.

  Michael L. VanLoon                           michaelv@MindBender.serv.net