Date:      Sun, 19 Dec 1999 14:22:03 -0800 (PST)
From:      nsayer@quack.kfu.com
To:        mobile@freebsd.org
Cc:        luigi@freebsd.org
Subject:   Wavelan wireless ethernet cards & bridging

I haven't bought one yet, but I have become interested lately in
wireless LAN stuff. It looks like the WaveLAN Turbo cards are the
way to go. The only issue is that they require a WAP (wired access
point) to communicate with wired networks. Those devices, from what
I can tell A> are horribly expensive, and B> don't do 100baseT
(which is only important because it's all I've got at home).

It seems to me that the solution to both problems is in Luigi's
bridging code, which I already use to make a filtering bridge to
use with my DSL router.

If the wi driver could be made bridge-aware, it seems to me that
one could add an ISA-PCMCIA bridge card with a Wavelan card to
an AdHoc network and use it as a bridge to the wired network.

Some issues, however, make me too nervous to stick my neck out and
try it. Paramount above them is what the bridge code would do if an
interface was suddenly added or removed (as PCCARD devices are wont
to do, and there is no such thing as a true ISA or PCI WaveLAN card).

Adding the bridge code call to the wi driver looks pretty straightforward.
Does anyone have any thoughts as to the likelyhood of this being a
complete waste of time?