Date:      Wed, 21 Jul 2004 13:09:34 -0500
From:      Puna Tannehill <puna@imagescape.com>
To:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Cc:        Dan Langille <dan@langille.org>
Subject:   Re: Netgear MA401 and 4.x-STABLE

Puna Tannehill wrote:

> Dan Langille wrote:
>
>> Despite what it says on the hardware release notes and
>> http://gerda.univie.ac.at/freebsd-laptops, I can't get a recently
>> acquired Netgear MA401 to appear under ifconfig.
>>
>> FWIW, FreeSBIE panic'd if the Netgear MA401 is inserted when booting.
>>  If added after boot, all is well.  FWIW, I found a similar problem
>> with the cards provided by USENIX in Boston.
>>
>> Should I be expecting this card to work under -STABLE.  Everything
>> I've read indicates so.
>

> Try adding the following line to /boot/loader.conf:
>
>     hw.pcic.intr_path="1"
>
> and reboot.  It enables ISA interrupt routing.
>
> Puna

Actually, I was just reading another post you made where you say that you have a
T41, so the above may not be necessary if your pcmcia slot is completely pci and
does not have a isa/pci bridge.

If you do have purely pci slot, and it is panicing on boot, you may have an irq
conflict.  I believe pccardd defaults to use irq 3, unless otherwise specified.
  Try updating the pccardd_flags line /boot/loader.conf to use the -i switch to
  allocate the appropriate irq:

     pccardd_flage=" -i 10"

irq 10 happens to be my setting on an old Presario 1692.

does the kernel panic when you try and boot the generic kernel with the ma401
in?  If not, you may have in recompiled the kernel without the appropriate
device drivers for card, pcic and wi.

Puna