Date:      Thu, 8 Apr 2010 08:49:12 -0400
From:      John Baldwin <jhb@freebsd.org>
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Cc:        Bruce Cran <bruce@cran.org.uk>, freebsd-geom@freebsd.org, Teske <dteske@vicor.com>, Randi Harper <randi@freebsd.org>, "Andrey V. Elsukov" <bu7cher@yandex.ru>, Alexander Leidinger <Alexander@leidinger.net>, Dag-Erling =?utf-8?q?Sm=C3=B8rgrav?= <des@des.no>
Subject:   Re: [RFC] Rewriting sade(8)

On Thursday 08 April 2010 5:05:34 am Dag-Erling Sm=C3=B8rgrav wrote:
> Alexander Leidinger <Alexander@Leidinger.net> writes:
> > Please consider using SVN instead. A lot more users will be able to
> > check out from there.
>=20
> We don't grant non-committers access to the Subversion repo.
>=20
> > It looks like other people had a look at sysinstall, not at sade. As
> > sysinstall is supposed to be used at installation time, and the intent
> > for sade was to offer the functionality (or more) of the part of
> > sysinstall which is useful after installation (and to prevent admins
> > from using sysinstall after the installation to prevent some unwanted
> > foot-shooting), I do not think that we need to think about a strong
> > lock between sysinstall and sade.
>=20
> Yes we do.  Otherwise we'll just end up back where we are today, where
> if you want anything more complicated than a single-disk install you
> have to drop into the fixit shell and do it manually before running the
> installation procedure.  Anythig that sade can do, we want sysinstall to
> do as well, and we don't want to implement everything twice.
>=20
> My suggestion is to add a "sysinstall mode" to sade where it operates
> under certain (minor) constraints and reports what it did in a format
> that sysinstall can parse, so sysinstall can just fork-exec sade instead
> of duplicating the code.

Actually, I would rather have sysinstall just invoke sade to do the disk=20
related stuff.  Also, I think sysinstall should allow for a "back-door" mod=
e=20
where a user can setup partitions however they like and mount them at /mnt =
and=20
then let sysinstall use the setup the user created.  This will allow users =
to=20
setup more complex setups that sysinstall/sade do not currently support and=
=20
allow sade to focus on simpler, common usage cases w/o having to handle=20
painful edge cases.  It would also allow for new modules to be added to sad=
e=20
over time w/o requiring it to support every possible disk layout from the=20
beginning.

=2D-=20
John Baldwin